Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Terrific Book Tuesday!!

I'm thrilled to share that my friend Colby Hodge's new book TWIST is out now!!!

I interviewed Colby, and here's what she had to say about TWIST:

There’s always a moment….

Abbey Shore never intended to be the savior of the world; it was just something that happened. She’d expected her importance no more than her father’s tragic death—or the fact that she was left poor and “flipping” houses in the Chicago suburbs to finish college.

And there was no way that she could have predicted the house on which she was currently working had an odder occupant than the usual resident ghosts: a swirling nether vortex that would not only reunite her with the handsome Doctor Shane X from the Sacred Heart’s ER, and the eerie, leather-clad beauty who’d seemed to shadow his every move, but send her one hundred years into the future, into a dying land filled with roving bands of humans fighting to survive, and the “ticks” against whom they fight.

Oh yes, Abbey’s life has had a… Twist

ALYSSA: TWIST is a departure for you – what made you want to write in such a different universe?

COLBY: Wow. That is a really hard question. It's not something I set out intentionally to do, as in hey, I want to start writing Urban Fantasy, it was more like Shane appeared in my head and the world formed around him and the opportunity presented itself with the new Shomi line. It was one of those times when the planets aligned correctly. I do have a lot of dark places in my head and now I let my imagination explore these places. The universe in Shomi was a fascinating one to explore. I love world building and also enjoyed the back and forth with my editor as he made me explain the logic behind the universe. Its a genre I'd really like to continue to explore.

ALYSSA: Tell us about Shomi.

COLBY: Shomi is a new line of cutting edge fiction geared towards the college age market. I like to think of it as a bridge between YA and traditional adult romance. Its purpose is to encourage young people to read. I like it because you can take more risks with untraditional plots and characters.

ALYSSA: Why will readers fall in love with Shane?

COLBY: Shane has seen a lot. In his lifetime he's seen the world go from a pretty happy place to a dark place where every minute is a fight to survive. He's seen a lot of personal tragedy also. Shane is a good person who is forced to do horrible things to survive. Every day he lives goes against every thing he believes in. When Abbey comes into his life, he finally finds something worthwhile to fight for and to die for.

ALYSSA: Just for fun, what movie have you seen lately that you love?

COLBY: Attonement. Loved it. The acting it in was just phenomenal and the story, even though tragic was beautiful. I also just watched Equilibrium with Christian Bale which was really good.

That's it!! Please check out Colby's website and her new book!! It's a wild ride!!
hugs,
Alyssa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great book! Definitely going on my TBR list :D Thanks for pointing it out.